Driving in front of Charleston International Airport during construction is a little confusing, we know.
The four lanes of traffic closest to the terminal are closed due to construction. That leaves the four lanes closest to the parking deck for all our passengers, visitors and deliveries to the airport.
So here aresome tips on navigating the four open lanes of traffic if:
You are a departing passenger
You are an arriving passenger
- Parking is available in our surface lot as well as the parking deck for a daily fee. Click here for more information.If you are being dropped off, look for the black and yellow detour signs in the center median to locate your airline. Because only four lanes of traffic are open, we ask passengers to unload their luggage and say their goodbyes in a timely way so that others waiting may also park along the curb to drop off.
You are using the valet service
- When you exit the airport at baggage claim, walk across the road to the center median. This is where your party should pick you up. Don’t forget there is no parking allowed in front of the terminal but your ride can wait in our Cell Phone Waiting Lot. Once you call, it’s a quick (less than a minute) ride to the terminal.
You need a taxi or a shuttle ride
- We’ve moved valet drop off and pick up to the lane furthest from the building. So if you are driving up to the terminal you want to be in the far left lane for valet drop off. When you return from your trip your car will be waiting for you in the same place.
You are picking up a rental car
- The taxi and shuttle stand is located in the center median across from baggage claim. When you exit baggage claim, cross the inside four lanes and you will see the taxi stand ahead. The CARTA bus stop is located a few feet to the right of the taxi stand.
- Six rental car companies are conveniently located in baggage claim to assist passengers with their transportation needs. Once you check in, exit through the baggage claim doors and follow the signs to the sidewalk on the right. This will lead you to the rental car pickup lot. When dropping off your rental car in this same lot, you can walk back up the sidewalk and into the terminal.
No matter how you are coming and going from the airport, be safe. Motorists should observe speed limits and stop signs and watch out for pedestrians. When entering or leaving the terminal be familiar with your surroundings. There may be a construction zone nearby. We want you to be safe so youcan travel with us again.